Friday, February 17, 2012

It's all relative or how we began....

So many thoughts have been going through my head (I have a long commute back and forth to work humour me please) I have thoughts I think for two blogs but maybe I can fit them into one or maybe they will go their seperate ways and I will write two in time.  To begin it is always amazing to me how certain seemingly small minute events can shape your future life. Go back in time with me to about a little over a year ago I am in my favorite pizza place in tiny little town dear to my heart Fort Edward and as I am waiting for my slices I randomly pick up one of those free mags this one was about sustainable living or something close. So I flip through it looking at ads and I see an ad for the NOFA-NY conference 2011. So it all began....

Go back a little further in time maybe six months or so and my husband Tommy and I are at my parents house in Saratoga having cocktails before we go out to our weekly dinner together my Dad says to me my good friend was just here visiting us and I told him all about where you live and what you have and he said she could be doing so much more with what she has with all that she could grow ALOT of food. So Tommy says oh man we would love to but I think we really need a greenhouse and I am going to build it. Now anyone that knows Tommy and I knows that we couldn't build a pile of sand let alone a greenhouse but my Dad being intrigued with the idea of farming and being the super supportive softy that he is said I will help pay for it so I say hey forget about trying to build it I saw something in a catalog and in it something called a high tunnel. So it all began....

I don't know what path we would be on now if I hadnt picked up that free magazine, going to that conference last year opened up a world for me that I didnt know existed. I mean I used to shop at Whole Foods when I lived in Greenwich, CT and had the kind of disposible income that could afford to do so but I had no idea the passion the commitment, the comunity, and the love that was out there. I was honestly floored and it changed my life. Funny how things happen. I thought that I was too small with only my almost 2 acres of total land maybe I will manage to get half or a little more under cultivation but I sat in a session with Half Pint Farm in Burlington VT and the whole world of what is possible opened before me. So I started out with dreams of maybe having a road stand and feeding myself vegies I was not eating because I couldn't afford them but I left saying dammit I am going to take over the world one farmers market, one restaurant, one who know what the future holds at a time. Well maybe not literally but the feeling was there and still is. So heres to dreams and heres to how things happen and for the first time in my life I finally finally feel like I know what I want to do when I grow up I am just lucky I am already grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment