Sunday, October 7, 2012

[Recipe Idea] What to do with mini bell peppers? Stuff em!

At the last outdoor market last week a customer was actually happy that many of our bell peppers were on the small side. Now that's something I like to hear and in talking to him he gave me this great idea of what to do with them. We are making it right now and I got to tell you it looks amazing and it really couldn't be easier. Here are the general guidelines:

Ingredients:
12 small bell peppers (about 3-4 inches long)
1 lb meatball mix (I have included one I used below)
4 cups or so marinara sauce
4 TB olive oil
Shredded provolone or parm to taste.
Method:

1) Cut tops of peppers off and take out seeds and ribs.
2) Stuff peppers with meatball mix and level off.
3) Heat oil in large saute pan and add peppers meat side down. Saute for a few minutes until sealed and nice and brown. Turn peppers on their sides and continue to brown.
4) Once peppers are browned on all sides add tomato sauce turn heat down to low and simmer for about 30 minutes until peppers are nice and soft and the stuffing is cooked through.


Serve over pasta or rice. yum


My really quick meatball mix:
1 lb ground beef of your choice (you could also use meatloaf mix if you like)
1 egg
1 piece of bread
3 TB milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 TB dried oregano
1 tsp hot pepper flakes

Mix egg, bread, milk, salt, pepper and spices together and add to ground meat. Mix together until incorporated.


Okay just finished cooking this and oh my god it is good! Try it now with all those peppers you pulled small today because its might frost tonight. Okay now that I am eating this I would call this the Italian version but if you have some ancho poblanos I would use this same premise but change the meatball mix to maybe a tex- mex version adding cumin chili power and cilantro and use similar seasonings in the tomato sauce use the same method I think it would be off the hook.


No comments:

Post a Comment