Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Evan Buxbaum incident and never counting my chickens.




Okay so after six months and the price of my dear house going down down down as steadily as the temperature falls in winter we finally have a buyer. A buyer who offered about half of what I was originally asking but at this point desperation took over and I accepted his offer. The buyer is actually a flipper so I had a good feeling that he would treat the old girl right and return her to her past glories. At least that is my hope. So I was happy about this over the moon actually for about a day until abject fear that he would back out took over. It seemed the buyer did not take into consideration that the eventual buyers of the house once it was finished would need to buy flood insurance and he was afraid it would make the house hard to sell. Why this came as a shock to him I am not sure since there is the house there is the small front yard the road and then the mighty Hudson River. Is it on a flood plan um yeah just a little.

So of course I went into full panic hide under the bed mode and it brought me back to 9th grade. I guess we all have those incidents in life which almost become our own parables our own fairy tales or horror stories. One of the biggest lessons I have learned in my 46 years is seriously never count your chickens I mean NEVER. Okay so back to Evan Buxbaum and 9th grade. From what I can remember he asked me out and we exchanged phone numbers I am not sure if I had a crush on him or not or his asking me came out of the blue. My memories have dimmed over the years. I accepted his offer of being his girlfriend and he said he would call me later. So I went home riding cloud nine proceeded to make a snack and turn on MTV. The phone rang and it was him and instead of awkward get to know each other talk it turned out his friends didn't approve of me and he dumped me. Quickest "relationship" ever. That one even beats some Hollywood marriages! Now I am sure it wasn't the first time life taught me how fast your fortunes can change but this one was pinnacle. It always startling how fast you can go from elation to the dumps how fast the pendulum swings back the other way.

These are the thoughts that were going through my head and my heart when I thought the deal for my house was going to fall through it brought me right back to 9th grade. Now I am sure there have been plenty of times in my life of disappointment but this is the one I always remember. I remember feeling ashamed for being happy for those brief moments like man you are such a sucker. You should have known better. Sometimes things are too good to be true. I am sure the Evan Buxbaum incident was a big piece of the puzzle that is currently me. I tend to play my cards very close to my chest am not prone to jump in to things quickly. I have become a watcher and a waiter and I never ever count my chickens before they hatch. We close on Thursday and hopefully things will go well. I of course refuse to accept it as a done deal. I am much more of accept the worse and be pleasantly surprised if things actually work out type of girl. Here's hoping. I think I have some healing to do. Happy first day of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment