Thursday, April 11, 2013

my day job my weekend job and pushing buttons

Photo: Right now



This is my desk at work. There are little hints here and there that let you know I am unusual that I like to grow vegetables in my spare time from the little farm bureau stuffed horse, the no farms no food sticker and lastly the Hoegger calendar with  April's baby goat picture are all clues that I have something else going on besides my day job.

The good thing about our farm (aka our backyard) is that it is so small I cant even toy with the idea of working on farm full time and giving up my day job. Not that I wouldn't mind working closer to home and maybe finding something a little more emotionally satisfying but for now I am okay where I am. To be honest I like working in an office ever since I saw the movie 9-5 I have been fascinated with office work but honestly I think I just like pushing buttons. Which makes my present job a good fit because I get to push A LOT of buttons. Maybe one day we can make enough income from the farm that I can work part time somewhere and it would be nice to be able to devote more time to growing things so fingers crossed that can happen in the near future. I would also like to add some livestock to our farm but until I am home more that cant happen. I can barely manage to let the dogs out before I go to work so I think trying to milk a goat is out of the question.




This is a picture of my weekend job...this was taken when we first broke ground 2 years ago. I call this field Big Mama because its the biggest field we have growing stuff. It can handle about 32 60ft rows of vegies and its one of my favorite places to be in the world. If you have read this blog before you know that I sometimes struggle with how small we are and that I often feel like not a real farmer because we are so small. Well good news I think I am finally moving past all the angst and just accepting who we are for what we are. I had a great talk last weekend with another farmer down the road who is quite a bit bigger than us and while we were talking I pointed out all the good points of being our size from not having to have a tractor, not having to hire help and figure out benefits and paychecks, being able to use our home well to water, and to maybe most importantly of all the fact that everything we sell I have grown from probably a seed and everything is weeded by me picked my me washed by me and well sometimes by tommy too. So for us I think the benefits of being small far out weigh the negatives. Frankly when I walk the 196 acres that surround my house and think what would you do if this was all yours honestly it makes my stomach hurt. Maybe I am finally okay with just being me and 3 dogs barking farms being the quirky little nano farm that it is.

promise of things to come a pic from last year....

No comments:

Post a Comment