Saturday, December 21, 2013

Sister Wendy is praying for you and beating back the gloom.




Have you ever wondered what happens to all the sadness in the world? We all feel pain some more than others due to circumstances or personality there is pain in every ones life it cant be avoided but sometimes its overwhelming. I was driving with Tommy tonight to have dinner with my parents and for some reason my mind tripped back to a tv show i saw a few weeks back about a woman who decided her child had become an inconvenience and burned her house down around him and he was found dead in his bed with his little dog dead along side him. Don't know why I thought of it when I did don't know why I watch shows about things like that sometimes but when I thought about it I felt a pain in my stomach that was tangible. The thought of that young boy and his dog dying just because they were no longer part of someones plan just killed me and as my mind strove to get away from the pain like a drowning person reaches for the surface my mind jumped to sister Wendy.

Now I don't know if you know about Sister Wendy or not but she is a nun in England who is a  hermit (hello how cool is that) who leads a contemplative life and has become famous for her work in art history. I recently saw a documentary about her http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/sisterwendy/meet/life.html and it blew me away. She goes to sleep everyday at 5pm and wakes up at 12 am to pray for us because she feels that that's when her prayers are most needed. Now when I had this memory of the terrible plight of the boy and his dog I thought well at least Sister Wendy is praying right now and maybe just maybe it will lift some of the gloom from the world. I've been thinking a lot lately about Sister Wendy and I have a lot more to write about her but this is my first written thoughts more to come I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment