Monday, February 9, 2015

More snow Chinese food i'm stuck their stuck is that a helicopter I hear?



Classic snowy night story in the good old northeast. Snow falls all day commute home is worse than the one to work. First plan for dinner was to stop at the fancy food store and get some fried chicken. But the losers closed at 5pm. Closed at 5pm are you mad you are a grocery store in the North Country you don't close at 5pm. Okay okay calm down whats next think girl think. Okay don't want to actually go to the supermarket and do something responsible like shop for the week nope nope I am looking for a quick fix....Light bulb Chinese food.

Acquire Chinese food and text husband is the driveway plowed he says I don't know but Jeff was just here so it must be. Drive 13 miles with Chinese food and guess what driveway not plowed....attempt to bust through and get stuck about 3 feet from the road. Now I can usually get myself out of these type of jams but I looked down at the Chinese food and said heck with the car it stays here till tomorrow and I eat Chinese now. Food turns out to be a major disappointmemt and the dogs score a human meal. Okay so I shake the disappointment off head to the bedroom or as I call it my sanctuary gather the dogs and a large glass of wine and start reading and watching a little tv.

Enter my saviors Scott and Clark my plow guy super hero team. I just hired these guys the storm before this aka just freaking last week and I hadn't called them today because I realized I took the cash to pay them with me to work. Less than helpful. So at 9pm there is a knock on the door and Clark says we didn't know if you wanted to be plowed but we saw you were stuck. Oh MUSIC to my ears. Well they say this to Tommy I was actually sitting in bed in my underwear drinking wine covered in blankets. So up I leap grab a pair of jeans put my fancy english farm snow boots (no socks yes I am an idiot) and off i go into the dark to rescue my car.

We try once to no avail and Scott (Clark is Scott's sidekick Scott drives the truck Clark snow blows and shovels) yells get the shovel and dig her tires out. Then to their surprise I say hey do you have another shovel let me help two will get this job done faster than one. So out we dig the little Honda and out she pops from the yard. Yes I didn't drive into the driveway apparently I drove into the yard. But hey hard to tell whats what with all that snow. So thankfully with visions of my wine glass still frosty inside I pull onto the side of the road and put my hazards on while Clark and I watch Scott work his magic well magic until the magic stopped in the name of getting stuck so bad I feared we would need to get another truck with a winch.

The thing about getting stuck in the snow is that you have to remain calm and not panic. My first thought is always OMG i will never get out I will get fired because I cant go back to work till spring (okay wishful thinking) but you need just to take a breath and you will get there. You might have to sacrifice your cats litter or maybe even your chickens grain (it works trust me) but you will get out. So thankfully after 15 minutes or so out pops the truck and Scott finishes up. I gave them an extra 20 for the late night and for saving my ass. Figure if you are going to through some cash around in a winter like this your plow guy is probably not your worst bet.

Stay warm and dry everyone and if you go out to shovel please remember to put socks on before your boots and maybe don't wear the pair of jeans that are more holes than fabric. And to my wonderful hair stylist Mel who keeps posting pictures on facebook of her fabulous vacation in Arizona which looks to involve more vodka than whats currently available in Russia or Anne my college roommate and her husband Peter who live in the Caribbean who's restaurant was just featured in the NY times whatever people whatever I have snow dammit snow. Lots of lots of snow I don't need your freaking sun tans and fancy drinks....oh who I am kidding if a helicopter touched down right now and someone shouted get in I would. Destination unknown.

1 comment:

  1. Hehe. Sounds like my Sunday afternoon! Plowing the neighbors driveway and we get stuck so bad her neighbor has to come pull out our 4x4 dodge ram with his tractor. I was wearing socks though!

    ReplyDelete